PREPARE FOR YOUR STAY
All you need to know before coming
> PRACTICAL INFORMATION FOR YOUR RETREAT
Please arrive at Lerab Ling during the arrival times (communicated on the event page).
Also, it is essential to arrive in time for the first session of the retreat.
CODE OF CONDUCT
Rigpa is an international community of individuals following the Tibetan Buddhist tradition. It is our shared wish to create a safe environment for the study and practice of the Buddhist teachings, one where we all feel a sense of responsibility for each other’s well-being and spiritual path.
Whatever your participation or role in the activities associated with Rigpa, everyone has a responsibility to conduct themselves in accordance with the laws of the land and the ethical behaviour outlined in the Rigpa Code of Conduct. We ask that you agree to abide by our Shared Values and Guidelines while you are in Lerab Ling.
PARTICIPATION IN THE ACTIVITY
(For events of 4 days or more)
Like any spiritual center, Lerab Ling depends on the voluntary help of each participant to contribute to the smooth running of the retreat/event. Each person coming to Lerab Ling is invited, upon arrival, to help for one hour per day in one of the proposed activities (dining room, temple, cleaning, etc.).
Lerab Ling offers vegetarian meals. Unfortunately, the kitchen is not able to accommodate special dietary needs beyond this option.
Those with more restrictive diets should bring their own food supplements to ensure proper nutrition.
You can find more information on meals here.
- Coffee, tea and hot water are provided at each event.
- A microwave oven is available in the dining hall for personal use.
- Food preparation as well as cooking is strictly prohibited in the rooms, tents and the rest of the site. Those staying on site are required to have full board (3 meals per day).
- Drinks and snacks are available at the Windhorse Café during the summer months.
When attending an event or retreat, the following services are available on site:
- Welcome Centre – open Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm - For all requests regarding your stay.
- Washing and drying machines with a token system are available on site.
- The Windhorse Boutique is open on certain days during events (opening times are adapted to the programme).
There, you can find books, teaching compilations, notebooks, objects to support your practice (incense, meditation cushions, shawls, malas etc.), as well as other objects (candles, jewerly, clothes etc.).
Lerab Ling preserves the unique spiritual traditions, culture, and art of Tibetan Buddhism and there is a spiritual community in residence who hold daily sessions of prayer, meditation and chanting (which are not part of all events).
The Lerab Ling site is located at an altitude of 800 meters in a mountainous region. The weather is very variable and unpredictable, and temperatures can fluctuate greatly. It is recommended to check the weather forecast before coming!
In summer, it is often hot and sunny.
In autumn, winter and part of spring it is cool or cold and it can snow. It is also advisable to have chains for your car, in case it snows!
INFORMATION ABOUT ACCOMMODATION
Find all the information on accommodation here.
Medical care, consultations or the provision of medication cannot be offered by Lerab Ling as it does not have a medical team or appropriate facilities.
The nearest doctor is in Le Caylar, 12km from Lerab Ling. For more serious problems: Lodève (15 km from Lerab Ling) has all the necessary medical services.
If you are undergoing regular treatment, or suffer from allergies of any kind (insect bites, asthma, etc.), don't forget to bring the necessary medication.
The event teachings are based on Tibetan Buddhism and are not intended to be a substitute for psychotherapy. We recommend that you inform your doctor or therapist of your stay at Lerab Ling and that you do not interrupt your current treatments. Lerab Ling assumes no responsibility in this regard.
ENJOYING LERAB LING WHILE STAYING HEALTHY
In order to preserve everyone's health, if you have cold or flu symptoms, we suggest that you get an accurate diagnosis. And if you have a fever, we invite you to reconsider coming to Lerab Ling.
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
- The toilets and dining room are cleaned regularly.
- Hydro-alcoholic hand gel is available in key areas, but it is important that you bring your own supply.
> TRAVELING FROM ABROAD
A visa may be required for foreign nationals (outside the European Union) depending on the country and the length of stay.
We invite you to check with the French embassy or consulate in your country to find out the conditions for obtaining a visa before your trip to France.
If you are coming to Lerab Ling from outside of France, please purchase insurance which will cover you during your stay (e.g. health insurance, travel insurance, public liability insurance). Lerab Ling does not cover emergency or unexpected medical or travel expenses, or for damage to another person’s property.
> WHAT TO BRING
RECOMMENDED ITEMS TO BRING
- A thermos for your drinks (in the interest of the environment, we do not distribute cups)
- Good walking shoes (the terrain is steep and can be slippery)
- Clothing appropriate for the weather (we are at 800m altitude)
- Your toiletries, soap, etc. for the duration of your stay
- Electric lamp
- If you are using shared showers (for cabins and retreat rooms), it is recommended that you bring a pair of flip-flops
- Shawl and warm socks for the sessions in the temple (for colder seasons)
- Notebook and pen
WHAT NOT TO BRING
- For safety reasons, candles, incense, and flame producing items are not allowed in the accommodations or on the campsite.
- We cannot accept animals on the site
- Please do not bring alcohol or drugs
- The site is non-smoking. If you wish to smoke, there is a smoking area near the Welcome Center at the entrance to the site.
> PARENTS AND CHILDREN
Children and teenagers (0–17 years) accompanying their parents must always be registered with Lerab Ling.
When you arrive at Lerab Ling, we will ask you to fill out a Liability Waiver. (Alternatively, you can download it, fill it in, and bring it with you).
Please also bring a copy of your insurance policy.
Before registering your child(ren), please take the following to heart:
- Parents are responsible for their children at all times during their stay at Lerab Ling
- Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times and cannot be left unattended. This may mean that parents are not always able to attend all sessions of the event.
- Lerab Ling does not take any responsibility for children's hazards and activities.
- We ask that parents ensure that their children do not disrupt the atmosphere and retreat environment of Lerab Ling.
Additional information for parents and children not participating in the Rigpe Yeshe program (offered during certain events)
- Lerab Ling does not have a children's play area, and we do not have toys.
Please see this page for all accommodation and meal prices. Children do not pay for events they do not participate in.
Temple etiquette and what to bring in Chinese here.